Definitions of Terms
(adrenal agents) are natural substances, including herbs, that help the body cope with both mental and physical stress. They can have a wide variety of effects, including supporting the healthy function of the adrenal glands.* The adrenal glands are small organs about the size of a walnut that sit on top of the kidneys.
- (of a drug) acting to relieve pain.
- Substance preventing vomiting.
- an anti-emetic drug.
Used to relieve the spasm of involuntary muscle.
an antispasmodic Herb or drug.
adjective: anti-inflammatory; adjective: antiinflammatory
Used to reduce inflammation.
having the effect of retarding or inhibiting the coagulation of the blood.
A substance or preparation, such as alum, that draws together or constricts body tissues a
having a sharp, pungent taste or smell; not sweet.
“raw berries have an intensely bitter flavour”
a herb that relieves flatulence.
- (of a substance) relieving inflammation or irritation.
- a substance that relieves irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth by forming a protective film.
- A substance inducing perspiration.
- (of a person) sweating heavily.
Tending to increase the discharge of urine.
A substance or drug that tends to increase the discharge of urine.
a medicine which promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
- medicine used to calm the nerves.
- a nervine medicine.
A rubefacient is a substance for topical application that produces redness of the skin e.g. by causing dilation of the capillaries and an increase in blood circulation
3. a substance that raises levels of physiological or nervous activity in the body.
“it is a stimulant that has a direct effect on the nervous system”
4. raising levels of physiological or nervous activity in the body.
“Caffeine has stimulant effects on the heart”
a medicinal substance taken to give a feeling of vigour or well-being.
giving a feeling of vigor or well-being; invigorating.
“a tonic body shampoo”